Thursday, April 30, 2009

Movie Review - X-Men Origins : Wolverine


One of this year's most anticipated movie is finally out yesterday in Jakarta and being someone who cannot resist the temptation of a possibly good movie, I've went to the cinema alone today to catch this box office hit. And now I can't wait to write the review (please take note that I have an exam tomorrow but it's 5p.m here and since I don't do books at this hour... I guess blogging wouldn't be much of an issue right?)

This movie is basically about how Wolverine came to be... how he got the adamantium in his skeletons (I always thought it was in his blood streams... lol), he's real pasts with Sabretooth and how he lost his memories. But the most important thing is why he changed his name from Logan to Wolverine. I'm not going to do spoilers here because I totally despise anyone who tells me how a movie goes before I watch the movie myself, so I'm just going to leave the synopsis at that.

There are definitely pros and cons in this movie but I guess I'm going to start with the
pros first.

  1. I totally love the idea of Gambit finally appearing in an X-Men movie franchise since he's my favorite character in the whole lot... and his stunts are just amazing... I just wish they would show more of Gambit in action with his cards but I guess we're gonna have to wait for "X-Men Origins : Gambit" for that...
  2. Hugh Jackman is such a great actor in this and man his body was smoking hot!
  3. I totally love the opening of this movie... it's very different from other comic based movies because the crew somehow made the opening looks like a moving comic strips with amazing effects.
  4. The plot is fantastic. I love how the story develops from one to another... how they connect the missing pieces together with unexpected twists here and there.
  5. The fighting scenes are definitely something you won't complain about after leaving the theatre.
  6. I'm always baffled on how they do castings in Hollywood because the guy who played Mr. Logan Sr. totally looks like he inherited 90% of his genes to Hugh Jackman.
  7. The movie length is just right... not too long and dragging like Watchmen and not too short like the first two Harry Potter movies.
So now, there are only two things I don't like bout the movie but to me the cons are pretty important:
  1. The one thing that really disappoints me was the low quality of special effects in the movie. I never thought that a big budget movie made for 2009 would still have that green screen driving scene and man those views looked fake. In overall, the special effects team looks like they've just learn how to create effects from green screen and there were actually plenty of those green screen effects scenes in the movie.
  2. They should have really substituted the actress playing Kayla because she can't act at all. She's pretty alright but she's supposed to be the one who brings up the emotions in the movie and man she failed terribly.
There were also some shockers from the movie (well at least I was shocked):
  1. I cannot believe Daniel Henney is actually in this movie! He definitely made a huge leap from a Korean drama actor to a Hollywood star.
  2. I was really shocked with Ryan Reynolds's transformation in here. He always played the boy next door or loser kind of characters but in here he totally transformed himself into a superhero! He got so buffed that it actually took me a while to realize that it was him.
Overall, this movie deserves an 8 out of 10 and it's really worth watching especially if you are an X-Men fan.

Signing out for now~

3 comments:

dr.anonymous said...

yeah bila makcik ni dah stat memblog... hehehe

Ana Kadir said...

Hahaha... biase la.. ni name nye hidden talent

Pat R said...

not surprisingly, i found myself wanting more of Ryan Reynolds being himself... his presence in any movie makes it automatically funnier / more entertaining

 
Copyright Melancholic Sanguine 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul .